Another historic building has
arrived at The Kathedral! A Continental Oil gas station, built
in 1931, was moved from the East Village in Des Moines to our
location at 19th and Crocker. The gas station was originally
located at 203 E. Grand in Des Moines where it was used as a
training station until it was run as a family owned business
for years. The building was placed on the Des Moines Rehabbers
Club's list of endangered buildings in 2008, as it was at risk
of being torn down to make way for a parking lot.
Grace Church moved from 19th and
Crocker in 1927, selling the cathedral to the Foursquare Gospel
Lighthouse. After Aimee Semple McPherson conducted powerful
evangelistic and healing meetings in Des Moines in 1927 and
1928, the church experienced explosive growth and revival, with
satellite churches branching out across the region.
The Historic East Village stepped in and raised funds to have
it moved to the corner of East Third and Walnut in Des Moines.
KLM International recently purchased the building and plans
to use it as a part of The Kathedral's campus and outreach to
the community. "The Filling Station," as it will be
called, will be a youth center, providing a safe, positive environment
for neighborhood youth after school and in the evenings. For
pictures from the move, click here.
KLM International is actively pursuing acquiring the property
at 18th and Crocker for The Filling Station's permanent location.
As a gas station sat on this corner for 50 years, this location
will add to the historic nature of the Sherman Hill district.
An initial goal of raising $100,000 for the move and restoration
of the gas station and other Kathedral campus projects has been
To donate toward the restoration of this historic gas
station by check, credit/debit card or electronic check, click